There is, in fact.
In a recent interview with Gamespot, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss announced that the fifth season of Game of Thrones will include a “major departure” from the series’ previous narrative.
“We want to tell a story in a way that feels like a sequel,” Beniof said.
“And it’s something that you don’t see in the books.
It feels like, in this world, there are many other worlds.”
“I think it’s really important that you keep the scope of what’s happening within the books small,” Weiss added.
“We want the audience to feel as if they are part of this new world.
What I want to do is expand the world to tell more stories about what’s going on.
That’s where we come in.””
I really want the story to feel more organic, more like it’s the characters that are living in this new place,” Benfield said.
Game of Thorns’ return to HBO has been a long time coming, given the show’s tumultuous relationship with HBO and its parent company Time Warner Cable.
The show was cancelled in January after six seasons in 2015 and 2016, though HBO has not publicly commented on the series since the end of 2016.
With HBO declining to comment on whether the new season would be made into a film, the show could potentially find itself with an unprecedented run time.
Benioff has previously hinted that there will be more story for the HBO show’s second season, which premieres in 2019, but his comments were not entirely clear.
“[Game of Throne] is a big part of my job as the showrunner,” Benjaminsaid, “and I think we want to be able to tell stories that we haven’t done before.
But I think it’ll be a big story.
We’re going to have a big storyline for Season 6.”
Game and Thrones: Season 6 premieres on HBO on April 14.